Tenant Services

Q. How long is it going to be before I am housed as an RGI tenant?

A. The waiting period is approximately 5 to 7 years. There is no guarantee that you will be housed in this timeline, and you should plan accordingly. Limiting your building selections, bedroom size required, or low unit turnover at a specific site can significantly increase this period.

Q. What do I do if my application request for RGI assistance is denied?

A. You will receive a letter from the Durham Access to Social Housing (DASH) stating the reason you were denied.  You have the right to request an appeal of this decision and can do so by submitting a written request to the office that made the decision.  If you owe arrears to another social housing provider, you should contact that provider directly to discuss the arrears and make arrangements for a payment plan.

Q. How do I apply for RGI assistance as a victim of abuse?

A. If you are applying for special abuse priority, you must complete the ‘Priority’ section on the Application for RGI Assistance and provide a letter from a third party, such as a doctor, lawyer, social worker, etc., that describes the abuse.  You will be advised in writing when a decision has been made.

Q. I applied for RGI assistance a year ago;  how do I find out where I am on the waiting list?

A. You may contact Durham Access to Social Housing (DASH) at 905-666-6222 to find out more information on the status of your application.

Q. How do I add new locations to my building selections on my RGI assistance application?

A. If you are adding more locations to your application, you may contact the Durham Access to Social Housing (DASH) at 905-666-6222 to update your application.

Q. I’ve just had a baby;  how do I add him/her to my RGI application?

A. If you wish to add a new child to your application, you must submit a request in writing along with the child’s citizenship documentation, birth certificate, or Statement of Live Birth from the hospital.  If the person you wish to add is an adult, you must complete a new Application for RGI Assistance because there is additional information required for adults, as well as their citizenship documents.

Q. How often do I need to update my RGI application information?

A. The Durham Access to Social Housing (DASH) will send you an update letter annually that must be returned to the office from which it was issued.  You must, however, advise the DASH of any changes to the information on your application as soon as the change occurs.

Housing Operations

Q. May I paint or wallpaper?

A. Per your lease agreement, alterations of any kind require the written permission of the Corporation.  Alterations must be restored to original move-in condition prior to you vacating the premises.  Some examples of alterations are installing a fence, painting, wallpapering and the installation of new flooring or carpet.

Q. May I install a satellite dish or antenna?

A. The Corporation will not allow any structure to be affixed to the building.  Alternate means of installation will be considered upon receipt of a written request.

Q. I have lived in my unit for a long time.  Will you paint and/or put in a new carpet?

A. The Corporation does not paint units nor offer paint to existing residents.  Residents may request approval to decorate their own units.  Carpet is not replaced at predetermined intervals.  Cyclical replacement programs have been initiated at some sites.  Each request is assessed during the annual inspection.

Q. May I use my own fridge and stove?

A. Yes you can, however you must store the Corporation’s appliances within your unit as we do not have the ability to do so.  Written approval for the addition of other appliances is required.

Q. How do I get something fixed?

A. You must complete a Request for Repair form, which is available at your site or you can download a copy here.  If you are not familiar with where to find the form, please contact your Superintendent and he/she will advise you.  Staff cannot complete repairs based on a verbal request, except in an emergency situation.

Q. Where am I allowed to park?

A. Residents may park in designated parking spaces only.  Residents may not park their vehicles in visitor’s parking spaces.  Parking is not permitted at any time in the signed Fire Route lanes/areas.

Q. May I have a pet?

A. Yes you can.  The Corporation provides guidelines for residents with pets.  All residents receive a copy of the guidelines at lease signing.  This policy is available in the Policies and Procedures section.

Q. If I have a complaint (e.g. – noisy neighbour, barking dog), who do I call?

A. If your quiet enjoyment of the complex is disturbed, particularly in the late evening or early morning hours, you should call the Police.  Site staff cannot place their own safety in jeopardy by investigating and/or intervening.  The next day you should advise your Superintendent of the incident and provide a written account.  In this way only can the Corporation take the appropriate action as afforded under the Residential Tenancies Act.

Q. May I give my rent to the Superintendent or the Property Manager?

A. Staff are not permitted to accept payments of any kind from residents.  It is the responsibility of each resident to forward their rent, air conditioner fee, common room rental fee, etc. to the Corporation’s Head Office.

Q. What happens if I lose my keys?

A. With the exception of non-duplicating security keys, copies of all other keys can be made from the keys other members of the household have.  If there are no other sets of keys in the household, then a resident must contact the Superitendent.  If the Superintendent has spare keys on hand, then they will be given to the resident for the purpose of the resident making another set for themselves.  The site spares must be returned to the Superintendent within 24 hours or the resident will be charged for the key.  If there are no spares on hand, then the resident will be responsible for the locks in question being rekeyed.  The Corporation will call in an approved locksmith to complete the task and the costs will be invoiced to the resident.  Arrangements for payment must be made with the Finance Division.

The replacement of a non-duplicating security key costs $15.00.  These keys allow access into apartment buildings.  Resident must pay the replacement fee at the Corporation’s Head Office and provide the receipt for payment to the Superintendent in order for a  replacement key to be issued.

Q. May I change my locks?

A. Per the Residential Tenancies Actt a resident may not alter the locks on a unit without the written consent of the Landlord.  Residents wishing to have their locks changed must notify their Property Manager.  Arrangements for the lock change must be co-ordinated so that a site staff person is present to make the master key available for the rekeying.  All unit locks must be keyed to the site master key.  The costs for such a change are the responsibility of the resident.

Finance and Administration

Q. How do I arrange for pre-authorized payment of rent from my bank account?

A. You must obtain an application from your bank or our head office, complete it, and return it to our office along with a void cheque from the account for which you wish to commence withdrawals.

Q. Can I pay my rent through on-line or telephone banking?

A. Yes, this method of payment is available for DRNPHC tenants. First, you must contact head office to determine your on-line account payment number.  Payments made by telephone or on-line banking usually take two business days for your bank to process, so please ensure that DRNPHC will receive your payment by the 1st of the month.

Q. Can I pay my rent with my bank card?

A. Yes, our office accepts INTERAC debit payments.  You should check the maximum limits on your card as some banks place limits on daily and weekly withdrawals.  We do not accept credit card payments.

Q. I’ve received a Form N4-Notice to End a Tenancy Early For Non-payment of Rent.  What do I do now?

A. You can either 1) pay the balance of rent owing by the date indicated on the Notice or 2) vacate the premises.  If you do not do either of these options, the Corporation will continue the process to obtain an eviction order from the Landlord and Tenant Board.  Tenants are strongly encouraged to contact the Collections Officer (extension 208) to discuss their options.

Q. I’ve received a Form N4-notice to End a Tenancy Early For Non-payment of Rent and have not paid the required amount or moved out by the date on the Notice.  What happens now?

A. DRNPHC will now open an application with the Landlord and Tenant Board to terminate your tenancy.  DRNPHC must pay the Board $170 to open the application and this amount will be charged to your tenant account.  Notification of the hearing date with the Landlord and Tenant Board will be mailed to you.